Monday, January 6, 2014

Paraplegic?

Last year, at English camp (yes, the English camp that my last post was about), I met a girl named Jess. She was a little older than me, just a year ahead in high school and somehow managed to find herself on a trip to Thailand with Rotarians and volunteers from Alaska to teach English.

Jess is a wonderful person. In fact, she is quite possibly the most bubbly and cheerful person I know. In the few short days I spent with her I didn't learn all that terribly much about her, but I know she loves sports, outdoorsy adventuresome things and having fun. A little while after she graduated high school last year (after we met in Thailand), she was in a terrible accident on the crazy roads in Alaska. Now, at 18 years old, she is paralyzed from the chest down.

Jess is in the middle -- demonstrating a game at camp
A few of the other volunteer teachers & I, Jess is 2nd from the right
I've never known someone paraplegic before. Sure, I've heard about paraplegics and thought how sad and difficult it must be for them, but I've never known the person so the video or article or whatever it was never impacted me nearly as much as this did. This is Jess, a girl I know; a happy, fun-loving, 18 year old girl who has her entire life ahead of her and now she's got to relearn how to live every aspect of her life... from a wheelchair. I could tell you the story, but I think it's better if you watch it in she and her family's words...       Their video brought me to tears.

I promise I don't have intentions to turn my blog into an advertisement or a fundraiser, but please take a few minutes to watch the video/read through the description, and if you are in the position to donate--do it, because whats a few mornings without Starbucks when you could help drastically better someone's life instead?

(I suggest watching in 480p quality for the best clarity.)




No comments:

Post a Comment