Thursday, January 31, 2013

Five Stories, Six Months

I've just finished eating breakfast and as I put my dishes in the sink something catches my eye out the window... the building... when I first arrived it was just a foundation and some piles of bricks... now it is more than four stories tall. I see the workers, they look like small ants from here, scurrying to and fro and I watch the building grow. As I stare at this building I realize something else that has changed, it's not my first days here...my first week... my first month... what is it? It's the first day of February. February 2013. This new building, that one I could barely see when I arrived, is going on five stories tall now and me, I'm an oldie. I'm over halfway through this year, it feels like this life is halfway over. My return flight plans are being processed. I'm going on six months next week. It feels strange, it feels sad. Now I know it must seem as if I am being a bit overdramatic, but it feels like yesterday was Thanksgiving and Christmas and suddenly now it is a month after New Years. The time has flown so much and I don't like it. It seems as if at this rate, next week I will be leaving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment