Tuesday, January 8, 2013

SLOW DOWN

A quiet knock on my door and then my host mom comes into the room, I'm awake already but sitting in bed just thinking.

"Bai gin kao, mai?"
"Bai, plean chut gon ka."
"Dtiao Kun Meh lorh hong leang na."

"Do you want to go out for breakfast?"
"I want to! I'll change my clothes first."
"Okay, I'll wait for you downstairs."

So began my day, a short walk to the restaurant just down the street and then my host mom asks me what I want to eat. I look at the menu, but really I know already what I want to eat. Tom Yum Goong aka spicy shrimp soup. I laugh inside at the thought that the first few days I was in Thailand all I wanted was toast for breakfast... when was the last time I had toast for breakfast? Who knows... perhaps a month or so? Not for lack of bread or toaster but for lack of wanting it. That which I once considered "dinner" food and thought it was crazy to eat it in the morning, strangely enough that's all I want for breakfast now. 

This evening as I sat in my host dad's office six o'clock rolled around and so the turned on TV show stopped and the Thai National Anthem played, as it does each and every evening, I found myself singing along and humming the bits I don't yet know. Strange I thought, just a bit ago I didn't even know a single word of this song... in fact, I couldn't have even picked it out from a CD upon arrival.

Today was littered with thoughts of my first week here which led to thinking... just how long ago was that? Well, it was five months, five months ago today I left home to create a whole new life. 

Fittingly enough, today was the day that the letter I wrote to myself before leaving arrived... I've decided to share with you...something I wrote... last April, completely forgot about and now got to read today.

Here goes...

--
April 15, 2012
Dear Kearney,
Firstly, I hope you've realized the wonders of Thailand. Before you left, at this moment, though you are overjoyed and wouldn't give anything to change the fact that you're going on exchange, there is a niggling feeling/thought/question in the back of your mind...Is Thailand right for me? Will I succeed on exchange? Will I accomplish all I hope to? And so many more. By this time, half-way through exchange, I hope I've made wonderful connections. I hope I have already formed some amazing relationships with my family, host club, school and students my age. Remember this chance is once in a lifetime. You have one year to learn about yourself in a whole new place. Of course you will continue learning for the rest of your life, but remember to use this time wisely. Say "yes" to opportunities that show themselves. Don't be afraid to make mistakes! Spend time practicing Thai. Learn about Bhuddism, learn everything you can about yourself, your home, your heart, your beliefs and those of the people and countries around you. Don't get frustrated, don't call home too often. Take every chance you have to make a positive impact on someone elses' life. Live life to the fullest! Try new food! Learn Thai! Read and write in Thai! Ride an elephant! 
Kearney T Newman
--

Well, to be very clear... I have realized the wonders of Thailand. I have no question that Thailand was right for me. I feel accomplished. I have met a million great people and have made many wonderful new friends, I have parents that I call "mom" and "dad" and brothers and a sister who I love. I have a good relationship with my host club, family, school and students my age. I say yes to every opportunity and I spend time practicing Thai everyday through conversing. I am proud of my Thai. I try new foods and activities everyday. I've ridden an elephant and learned so many important lessons. I've had my hard days and my homesick nights, but every piece is just part of the roller coaster. This is truly amazing and I just cannot stop smiling. Life is truly wonderful.

Kearney

P.S. The reason that this is titled "SLOW DOWN" is because time is going altogether WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too fast. I can't believe I've been here five months already and I don't want to think about it. Please time, slow down, please.


2 comments:

  1. looks so much better now! My eyes doesen't hurt while reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaa, I'm so glad to hear that. I changed it just for you :D haha

    ReplyDelete