Thursday, September 13, 2012

A few observations


I've been sent some questions about Thai students/people, school and Lop Buri. I did my best to answer them all, but I'm sure I missed a few. I'll just have to write more later! :)

So here are some things I’ve observed—

-Every Thai teenager has a cell phone and most are doing something on said cell phone at least once every fifteen minutes if not more often than that. Also, Thai kids text/go on Facebook/use their phones at meals all the time. At home, texting at the table is a no-no and I find it pretty rude, so you could say I was a bit surprised to find even my host Aunt going on Facebook at the dinner table!

-Thai teenagers love, love, love to take photos of themselves. Boys and girls alike will sit and take multitudes of photos of themselves, smiling, frowning, making weird faces, hair up, hair down, with friends, without friends… everywhere and anywhere!

-Thai people in general are quite intent on trying to have the whitest skin. Girls can often be found covering themselves in makeup and baby powder. Males and females use umbrellas, sun or shine. Girls often wear sweaters (even in the crazy heat!) to keep the sun of their arms. I am often asked whether I like tan skin or white skin better… really white or tan skin doesn’t make a difference to me. I’d rather just let my skin be whatever color it naturally is then constantly strive to have something else. Ah well, Thailand will always have a great whitening lotion/soap/baby powder industry I suppose.

-Though boys and girls do hang out with each other in groups, one on one settings with the opposite sex rarely occur.  Though girls can walk around holding hands just as friends, if a boy and a girl held hands it would be the talk of the town for ages. Boys don’t really touch girls at school and if they did it would probably be assumed that the two people involved were in a relationship even if they had merely exchanged an innocent (well… innocent in America) high five or hug (speaking of hugs—people don’t hug here. I miss hugs… a lot.) After school, the more “bold” couples can be seen walking around town holding hands.

-From what I’ve heard, Thai school is extremely difficult. Before I went to school in Thailand I expected a strict environment, silence and long, long lessons that provided lots of homework. My expectation turned out to be partially correct; Thai kids do get an awful lot of homework. Thai kids don’t have much free time because they always have homework to do, tests to study for or tutoring classes to go to.  Some schools do not get out until 8pm and tons of kids go to school or tutoring classes after school or on weekends. The thing I don’t understand though is the classroom dynamic. Thai kids seemingly have little to no respect for their teachers when they are talking which is so strange because usually young Thai people are so respectful to elders. Students talk, laugh, yell, use their cell phones, throw things and seem to pay very little attention to the teachers.  I honestly wonder how anyone can learn anything in all the noise and chaos. On the other side of the spectrum is the teachers… if they don’t want to come to class, they just don’t come.

-Age, it matters. If someone is older than you you must wai to them. When you are speaking to elders you must add “ka” to the end of your sentences if you are a girl and “krap” if you are a boy. You must call people older than you “P” and then their name (for example my host aunt’s name is Toon so when I speak to her I say “P’toon ka”. I don’t yet understand why when students are in the hallway they wai to the teachers and seem to be very respectful, but when they are in the classrooms they don’t listen to the teacher when they talk (which in America would be considered extremely disrespectful) or seem to pay much attention to their lessons at all.

-The school I attend begins at 8am and gets out at 4pm. Most students have a number of free periods during the day. If they don’t spend these studying then they can be found just sitting and talking, taking photos or (if they are boys) passing a soccer ball or playing the Thai game “da-gaw” (played with a plastic ball, you must keep the ball in the air with your feet while passing it across and around the circle of players, if you kick the ball out then you must kneel in the middle of the circle and people pass the ball over/around/into you). Thai girls in general do not like sports. If they do like sports then they most likely enjoy badminton or the Thai version of cheerleading. Here, soccer is for boys. When people ask me what I like to do and I say I like to play soccer (Chan chob len futbon.) my statement is always followed with a generous round of “Ooooh” which is often accompanied with someone saying “Sport girl! Sport girl!”

-People say Americans eat with a fork and spoon. No, no, no… Thai people eat with a fork AND a spoon! In America you use spoons for soup or sauce and a fork and knife for everything else. In Thailand you don’t use the fork to put the food in your mouth, you use the fork to push the food onto your spoon, which you then put in your mouth. For certain dishes (usually noodle dishes) people eat with chopsticks.

-In America, if you go to restaurant with three people, you get three dishes and each person eats his or her own dish. In Thailand, if you go to a restaurant with three people, you get around five or more dishes and rice and everyone eats a bit of every dish. It’s fun to be able to try lots of different dishes at one meal!

A little about Lop Buri—
Lop Buri is one of the most historic cities in Central Thailand.  In the center of town is the remains of King Narai Palace which was built in 1666 by King Narai the Great. Now the Palace is used as a museum and houses all sorts of artifacts from the early ages of Thailand. The Palace is only one of the many historical sights in Lop Buri though. Another really famous one is Prang Sam Yod. Prang Sam Yod dates back to the 13th century and is a three-pronged monument that used to house a Bhudda statue. It is just across from my school and it’s where bunches and bunches and bunches of monkeys (ling) can be found! The interesting thing is that there is no old and new city, as you drive through Lop Buri you can find remains of fallen down brick walls and crumbling corners of temples and shrines everywhere. Every day on the ten minute drive to school I drive past at least three or four ruins.  Lop Buri is also very well known for it’s monkeys. Though they’re most concentrated at Prang Sam Yod, you can find monkey’s everywhere. They jump on cars, scramble across telephone wires, eat everything and anything they can find and if you’re me—they jump on your back! After one month here, three monkey’s have already jumped on me…  J
Part of King Narai Palace

Part of Prang Sam Yod

Prang Sam Yod

Ling! Monkey!


And a bit about what I've been up to...

My host mom's bunny, Pooklook!

Me giving my Rotary Introduction powerpoint

My host Aunt and I riding an elephant! (In Ayutaya, another province). I spoke to the elephant trainer in Thai a bit and he ended up letting me sit where the trainer usually sits, directly on the elephant rather than on the seat. So much fun! The elephants name is Gyipsi and she is 15 years old. 

another elephant! (chang)

Got a package from home! Best thing ever!

This is a coconut-y, creamy, delicious dessert! It's called "ka nam buang".

me feeding a baby tiger in Chonburi (another province)

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting observations. It sounds as if you are getting to know some of their culture, I noticed some of the same, when Mook was staying with us. You know what they say in exchange land "No right or wrong, just different!"
    You might have to join a badminton team! At the Olympics, they seemed very intense! :)
    Very beautiful ruins, amazing to think, here in the U.S. we have nothing that old.
    Monkies, Elephants and tigers oh my! Enjoy!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete