Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pibulwittayalai.

Pibul. Off to school.

Pibul (pronounced "Pea-Boon" for short, is the name of the school I attend).

Each morning, all 3,300 students (nak lien) stand in a line by class, under the enormous dome, facing toward the flagpole (though you cannot actually see the flag because of trees) as the National Anthem is sung by students on stage. Then we turn ninety degrees to face toward the schools shrine, the students on stage recite a prayer as all the students clasp their hands together in a wai (palm to palm as if you are praying). After this we all sit down cross legged and listen to the daily announcements. As different teachers take turns using the microphone to make announcements the students whisper and laugh, rarely paying much attention... my mind wonders. I watch tiny red hands scurry across the paving stones but I'm jerked back to reality when all the students around me begin to stand up. Now I am off to class... 

Part of the dome, students are lining up!
"Riang arai? Bai nai?"                     ("What will you learn? Where are you going?")
"Bai hong silapat, riang silapat."      ("Go to the art room, learn art.")

At Thai school, I have a few set classes, but really I can go to any class I want. Often I just go to class with a different group of Thai kids and try to understand whatever they are learning. Here a few classes I have been to...

Art 

Flower Arranging


Fruit Carving

Sushi Making
The view from the fifth floor on one of the school buildings. The school is made up of probably ten or so buildings each for a different subject area.

Myself, a few Thai students and the other three Rotary students at my school.


The sewing room, the sewing machines fold up out of the table!

Sewing
Cooking


Well, this isn't at school, but this is the section I shop in at the bookstore. The little kid and baby book section.  I can read these! :)



Anyways,  haven't been blogging much lately, sorry! If you have any specific questions or things your curious about please let me know! :) Hope you are all well!


Kearney



2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures Kearney! I cant wait til you come home and cook us awesome thai meals! I think its pretty cool you can go to whatever classesyou want ... Enjoy that warmth. Its been so windy, cold and rainy. The fair was good for us, but really...you didnt miss much, kind of same old same old. It will be there to enjoy in all its usual palmer fairness next year ;) enjoy the journey for all of us, love you, second mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second Mommy <3
    I look forward to making delicious Thai food for you :) But also look forward to eating your delicious soup... Thailand soup isn't the same as Dulce soup. Glad to hear the fair went well, it's still strange to think I didn't go this year. Say hi to Hannah, Kaila and second daddy! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete