Friday, September 7, 2012

Join in!


9/6/12

Paw Bat (host dad)- "Kian pasa Thai dai mai?"
Me - "Dai ka."

Paw Bat asks me if I can write in Thai.  He hands me paper and a pen and so I write... ข้าวหอม จินดา. Kaohom Jinda. My Thai name. I give it back to him and he exclaims "Geng maak!" (Excellent!). My host Aunt (P'Toon) looks at the paper and tells Paw Bat that my writing is prettier than his. They are both laughing and so am I. "Cow jai?!" (You understand?!) P'toon exclaims, and I realize yes, I do understand. They were joking in Thai and I'm laughing with them. I'm understanding them without even thinking twice.

Later, as we are driving in the car, I talk with my host mom (Meh Dtai)...
Talking about school, my friends, lunch, what we will do this weekend, elephants, cake and my shoes. I'm having a conversation with a woman who one week ago I couldn't understand in the least. Our conversation dies and we sit in silence for a few minutes. As we drive past the pool Meh Dtai asks P'Toon if she wants to go swimming. It's raining, P'Toon says she doesn't want to go. I say I don't want to go either. It doesn't matter that the conversation is about such a meaningless thing... It matters because I was listening, understanding and even able to join in. Joining in, that's what it's all about... and however difficult it is, I love it. 

What a great day.
 
On a different note, today I tasted a chicken foot... voluntarily. On Sunday my host parents are taking me to Ayuthaya to ride an elephant. I am so excited! (Dtuun-den maak!)

-Kearney

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how quickly you are picking this up! Amazing! I'm so proud of you.
    I want to hear about the elephants. Where do they live, what are they used for, are they endangered?
    I'll be sending suggestions for blog topics soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm learning lots and lots everyday. I will write about the elephants later... I think we are going to see them this afternoon! I'm so excited! :) Yes! Please send topics :)
    love you!

    ReplyDelete