Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunset.

Driving through Bangkok in the evening. The rain beats against the window and sprays up as we splash through puddles created by the torrential rain. I can see the sky, tinged slightly orange behind the clouds, the sun, as it sinks behind the line of skyscrapers. Buildings fly by. For an instant I catch one more glimpse of the sunset and then it's gone. More buildings cover the view. A small town girl from Alaska, I never thought I'd find the city beautiful... but this is. The whole thing is beautiful. The fact that I'm sitting in a car surrounded by a family that has opened their arms to me. The fact that I'm starting to understand what they're saying to one another. The fact that I have an entire year to learn their ways and find my place in their puzzle. The whole thing, the whole opportunity is beautiful. So, when all four of my host family members start talking at once in rapid Thai, me right in the middle back seat... literally in the middle of it all, I sit back... confused certainly, but I listen and I smile. Someday I'll understand what they're saying. Today I'll just listen and know that this is beautiful. 




1 comment:

  1. Your sentiments are so beautiful and heartfelt. ... I can feel your smile through your words.

    ReplyDelete