Friday, August 10, 2012

This is the beginning...



From crying while saying goodbye to the people I love to zipping up my suitcase with a smile, the past few days have been an emotional roller coaster. You could say that I’m excited for this year… but that might be an understatement. You could also say that I’m scared for this year… but that too might be an understatement. As I write this I am sitting on Korean Airlines Flight 20 from Seattle to Incheon-Seoul Airport in South Korea. An hour there and I’ll be on a plane to Bangkok, Thailand. A few hour drive and I’ll be stepping foot in Lop Buri—my final destination, my new home. That will be tomorrow… but really quickly, let’s visit the past few days.

It’s Monday August 6th. What better to do than wake up at 4am in time to watch the Alaskan sunrise with my best friend? Spend hours talking and somehow laughing even though we both know that when we part today it will be for a very long time. Somehow we manage an entirely fantastic day free of sadness or tears until of course the goodbyes begin. From my last farewells here I head to the first day of Palmer High Swim practice. I’m not swimming this season of course, but if I were spending the next year in Alaska I certainly would be. It’s good to be able to see the team; lots of new faces and of course all of the familiar ones. I realize, though it seems odd, I’ll truly miss the smell of chlorine along with the echoing noise of voices in the pool and the chaos of swim meets. Many watery hugs later I head home. I remind myself that today is my sisters 18th birthday. We celebrate by going to Benihana and watching in awe as our food is artfully cooked right before our eyes. All this and the day is not yet over, a quick visit to a few more friends. A wonderful conversation cut short because of lack of time… People can say time is money, but I’d say time well spent is worth more than any amount of currency.

It’s Tuesday August 7th. I leave Alaska at 5:01am on Wednesday… meaning; I’m leaving home around 2am (on August 8th). But what to do with my last day in Alaska? Swim in a freezing cold Alaskan lake seeing as I probably won’t be feeling very cold for quite a while, eat sushi and lay on the sun covered grass with two of my favorite big sisters, play croquet with the family, play twister with my brother and sister, eat one last truly American meal of mashed potatoes, gravy and meatloaf, bake chocolate cupcakes with my sister, say quick farewells to two more close friends and get less than two hours of sleep before heading off.

The last days and weeks before I left were hectic. I stayed up late and got up too early. I washed altogether too much laundry and constantly fluctuated between being super excited, tearful, contemplative and scared. Somehow, even in the last few days leading up to my departure it seemed as if the fact that I was leaving for a year hadn’t really hit me. Ridiculously enough, as I sit here on the plane that’s halfway to Asia it is still just hitting me. I can’t believe how lucky I am to have this opportunity.

The night before I left, as I tried to sleep, everything normal seemed magnified. I realized that the next night I wouldn’t be staring up at my glow in the dark star covered ceiling or listening to my super loud clock tick tick tick away. I wouldn’t hear the soft rustle of the cool air blowing through the vine-like bush that climbs the wall outside my window or the bark of my dog or the occasional creak of my timber frame house. I wouldn’t feel the weight of my cat sleeping next to me in the dark or the soft fleece of my warm blankets. Yet somehow, these thoughts weren’t discomforting. Somehow, I was able to set my alarm for 1am and drift off into a peaceful sleep knowing that tomorrow was the big day.

Saying goodbye at the airport was strange. It was upsetting, naturally, to leave my family behind, but also undeniably exciting when I focused on where I was going and what I was doing. I cried, but after that third round of hugs I went on my way. Through security and off. Though people told me before not to look back after that, that it would only make it worse, I did anyways. I watched as my parents turned and brother and sister followed. Then, then I tried not to look back.

The plane to Seattle was odd as well. I’d taken that flight so many times, even by myself a few times, but this was different. I watched out the window reminding myself that this was the last time I’d see Alaska for a long time, thinking I had to soak it all in… that didn’t last too long though because I fell asleep almost immediately. Four hours later I found myself sitting at a table by the window in the Seattle Airport, then a few hours later on a train to the International Departure Terminal listening to people jabber away in Korean and make announcements that I don’t understand (so the confusion begins, I think to myself… :P), then in line with twelve other exchange students, then on the plane. Korean Airlines, flight number 20, estimated to arrive in Seoul in 10 hours.

As I sit down on the plane, the Korean woman next to me asks in perfect English where I am going. I tell her I am flying to Bangkok and that I am an exchange student. She tells me I am very brave and that I must be very smart. She cannot even get her daughter to leave for a short time to go to boarding school she explains. Her friendliness is comforting.

On a completely different note, I’ve been on international flights before, but let me just say that this international airlines treat you so much better than normal airlines.  A blanket, pillow, slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste await you on your seat as you board. There are televisions built into every seat on which you can watch movies, play games or track the planes progress. A meal is served, but it’s nothing like… excuse me as I say {super duper gross} American plane food. Then a few hours later, snacks and orange juice (Dichan ao nam-som nung gowie ka. I want one glass of orange juice—in Thai). Aaand… they sell perfume and fancy watches and curry paste… on the plane… all on the same cart. I’m not sure why…

I made it to Lop Buri safe and sound. I will write more about my first days in Thailand and my host family and such later. 

-Kearney

P.S. Why is blogspot.com in Thai script? Just because I am in Thailand now doesn't mean I can read Thai yet! Help! haha


No comments:

Post a Comment