Sunday, October 7, 2012

A few [funny] facts...




·      My host dad can’t fall asleep unless the TV is on.
·      My host mom takes her pet bunny to work everyday because she thinks it would be lonely staying at home all day.
·      Someone asked me the other day what my name was… my American name… and I said “Kao— Oh uh… Kearney.”
·      When skyping my mom the other day I accidentally asked her something in Thai.
·      I forgot the English word for bus… the Thai word is “lot-bus”… and somehow I couldn’t remember the English word?!
·      English grammar surprises me. Why would you say “I’m going to take a shower.”? Where are you taking the shower? Nowhere… it’s staying just where it is! Makes no sense.
·      Eating salad with chopsticks is hard… I don’t advise it.
·      Always take an umbrella with you during the rainy season… otherwise you may find yourself getting a shower while riding home with your host Aunt on her motorcycle.
·      Thai people like to feed animals… I can now say I have bottle fed a fish! Fed an elephant vegetables, bottle fed a sheep, fed fish bread and fish food and fed a bunny chocolate biscuits.
·      Tonal languages are a funny thing… Though you’re trying to say “I love snow.” you might just find yourself saying “I love poop.” (Except you actually said a word that was a little worse than “poop” by mistake… Woops.)
·      Here are a few funny questions I’ve been asked…
o   In AK is it cold? (Everyone asks this… everyone. Usually followed by “Is Thailand hot?”)
o   In AK do people have braces?
o   IN AK do white bears eat people?
o   In AK do you have grapes?
o   In AK do people live in igloos?
o   In AK do you have department stores?
o   In AK do you have Thai restaurants?
o   In AK do you have camels?
o   In AK do you have sticky rice?
o   In AK do you have shrimp?
o   Have you ever seen a waterfall?
o   Is AK an island?
o   Have you ever eaten bear?
A true Alaskan wears tie dye… even on the way to Muay Thai (Thai Boxing).

  Even though I’ve been in Asia two months now I can still eat French Fries if I really want to… I just eat them with chopsticks now.

If an old Muay Thai boxer blows you a kiss, blow one back because chances are the rest of the Muay Thai fighters reactions are going to be over the top and absolutely hilarious!

Why Thailand has earmuffs, scarves, hats and mittens/gloves for sale I didn’t know. Upon asking my host Aunt I learned it was for when people go travelling… but not to other countries… for when people travel to the North of Thailand… because apparently it’s quite cold up there. Maybe gets down to 70 degrees in “winter”. Oh man, today was only 82… where are my long underwear?!

Playing Bingo is a good way to practice your numbers in another language.



My Thai name is “Kaohom” which means “sweet smelling rice”.  If people forget my name the first thing that comes to mind is usually “Gluayhom” which means “banana”. So… banana or rice… or farang (foreigner)  or whatever you want to call me really... it all works.


Off to Nakhon Sawan (a neighboring province) tomorrow for five days of Rotary Camp! I'm excited!
-kearn



No comments:

Post a Comment