Thursday, October 4, 2012

Batibad tam. Meditate.

The past three days and nights I spent at a Bhuddist Monastery near the mountains (phu kao). These are the lesson that one of the Monks there taught me.

Follow the wind. Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. Don't think. If you have a thought, just know, know that it is there but don't follow it. Life is a long path and if you follow each side path (follow each thought) you will never reach the end. Everything is nothing. To meditate you must be empty. If you are empty you are pure. If you are empty then you can be filled with light and happiness. Do not think. Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. There is no future and no past, think only in the present moment. Breath in, breath out. Think only of the air, the wind, follow the wind, in, out, in, out.

When you finish meditating, think. Think of all good things that surround you; your parents, happiness, good luck, opportunity. A little smile, think about happiness.

"Like we open the window to receive the good thing." -Pra Sirijan

To walking meditate; think only-- one, two, three, four, right, one, two, three, four, left, one, two, three, four, right. One, two, three, four, five, six. Nung, song, sam, sii, ha, hok. Right, left. Sai, kwa. If you have a thought or lose count, start over at one. Clear you're mind, don't think.

Don't let your mind stray to your family or your friends...remember that you came into this world by yourself and you will leave by yourself. We shouldn't attach ourselves to others, don't worry about others. Instead, clear your mind. Batibad tam. Meditate. When you are done think of the positives, send good thoughts to your parents, your family, your friends, all living things on Earth.

Karma; good and bad. A good action will reap good karma and a bad one bad karma. Souls never die, the move from person to person due to levels of positive and negative karma.

-

At the temple there were many people there for one week, five or three days. Most were women and almost all of them came in pairs.

I speak to almost everyone in the group of people who have come for a short stay. There is the woman and her friend who are going to New Zealand for one month (I tell them I've been there and they are amazed, asking whether Alaska or New Zealand is more beautiful? And which do I love more? What sort of question is that. They are both beautiful in different ways and I loved New Zealand when I went there, but of course I love Alaska in a different way... Alaska is home.) The woman who can speak a little English and who is always smiling, always laughing. When I leave she says "You can miss me now." I smile, I will miss her, I'll miss her constant laugh and smile. Meshi Keg, a female monk, she has lived at the monastery for four years now. Though I understand nothing she says (at one point I even questioned if she was speaking Thai or not thinking maybe she was speaking Lao...) takes me with her to see other parts of the monastery, she gives me hot chocolate on one rainy morning and shows me photos of her family. She speaks unbelievably fast and constantly makes funny noises mixed with her speech. The only thing I can understand is when she speaks one of the three or four English words she knows..."mommy" and points to herself and then "lugke sao" (daughter) and points to me. Everyone here is so kind, one woman and her daughter (Fern) especially. Though she cannot speak any English she acts so motherly towards me, telling me what time I should wake up in the morning and what time I can go to sleep, sharing her food and having me eat dinner with she and her daughter in their room.


Later, it's dark outside and I am sitting at a square stone table with Fern, her mom and two other woman. We are not supposed to speak, we sit silently and drink hot chocolate. One woman mouths something across the table and everyone smiles, silently laughing, I smile too. This is such a wonderful opportunity.

It's my last morning and I have changed clothes out of my white suit (everyone who is at the temple for a short time must wear a plain white outfit, it looks sort of like dentist clothes to me) and I am standing outside. One meshi walks past "Gap wan ni leaw?" (Your going home today?) she says. "Chai ka, wan ni ka" (Yes, today.) I say. I'm not sure if I've ever spoken to her but she gives me a one armed squeeze... "Chok di na Kaohom." (Good luck Kaohom." she says.

This was roughly my daily schedule while at the temple;
4am- Wake up, wash face, brush teeth.
4:30-5:00am- pray, chant
5:00am-5:30am- meditate
6am- walk a little ways from the temple and buy something to eat (I ate grilled pork and sticky rice) and something to offer to the monks.
6am-8am- sweep all the fallen leaves around the monastery, then free time; rest, read, draw etc.
8:30am- breakfast (the only meal served at the monastery because Meshis and Monks can only eat meal a day and only before a certain time of day.)
10am-12pm- meditate
12pm-2pm- free time
2pm-4pm- meditate
4pm-5pm- sweep all the fallen leaves around the monastery and then eat dinner (there is a small shop at the monastery and though Meshi and Monks cannot eat dinner they open it in the evening so that the visiting people can eat)
5pm-6pm-pray
6pm-8pm- free time, shower
8pm-10pm- meditate

Being at the temple was interesting. I enjoyed it, but also found it very difficult. So much time spent sitting, attempting to clear my mind, so much time and so little action. I found it extremely difficult. Still, I am so glad I went. I met so many wonderfully kind people and learned so incredibly much.
Meshi Keg 

It was so gorgeous there...

This is inside the mountain! We walked up steps and then through a metal gate that went into a big cave... down some white and grey marble steps and inside is this. It was so amazing.



These birds are everywhere... at the temple but also all over Lop Buri.

The monks and the meshi meditating




Everyone can come to the temple, these three little girls are walking meditating. They were absolutely adorable and smiled super big every time they saw me.  In the glass cases are different Bhudda statues. People who go to meditate for a few days must wear entirely white clothes like the ones two of the girls here are wearing.

This is my room. It's important that you sleep with your feet facing away from the Bhudda statues.

There are a lot of chickens at the temple and they don't know what time morning is... they just "cock a doodle do" all day long... just like my chickens at home.

The woman in white is Fern's mother. She is so very kind.


Dok buang. (A type of flower) Before and after I folded the petals... Fern's mom took Fern and I to offer these flowers and pray inside the cave.

Meshi Keg showed me around the temple.


Dok Buang.

-Kearn

P.S. I started a separate blog. It's doesn't have to do with Thailand, it's going to be just random things I've written,  quotes, photos, ideas I have, questions that come to mind and random inspirations. It's difficult for me to express a lot of my opinions while in Thailand because I don't speak enough Thai and I don't want to risk being rude, so this is going to be place for me to just record some ideas and thoughts. No need to read it, but if you're interested here is the link; catchingkearnado.blogspot.com

Also, if you have specific questions feel free to let me know on Facebook or by emailing me.

Hope you are well... and staying warm in Alaska! I hear talk of snow!

Love,
Kearn






No comments:

Post a Comment