Thursday, October 25, 2012

Dai. Can.

A few days ago I was at a shop to take photos for my Visa. The attendant began to take me into the separate photo room, suddenly she turned... "Poot Thai dai mai?" she asked my host Aunt. (Can she speak Thai?) I expected the reply to be "Nit noi." (a little bit) because this is always the way I always reply when asked if I can speak Thai. Instead I hear "Dai." Dai. It means "She can." She can speak Thai. One word. One simple phrase, but it most definitely puts a smile on my face. In the past few days multiple strangers have asked my why I can speak Thai so clearly or complimented me on my Thai. Upon being asked if I can speak Thai and answering that I speak Thai a little bit, my host family has begun to interrupt me and say that I speak a lot of Thai already. There is always lots more to learn, but these simple happenings are so very encouraging and they certainly put a bit of spring in my step.

"Poot Thai dai mai?"
"Dai nit noi ka--"
"--Dai yuu leow."

(Stranger-Can you speak Thai?
Me- I can speak a little bit.
Host family- She can speak a lot already!)

School started back up on Wednesday! I've been going running... though the 90 degree plus, sunny, "winter" weather really isn't agreeing with me... Anyone want to send me some snow?

-Kearn

No comments:

Post a Comment