Monday, November 19, 2012

Reflections with Wether's

The packaging isn't quite the same but I open it anyways and pop it into my mouth. The flavor... That's the same. I can taste the cold rainy days at the Alaska State Fair, quietly raiding the free candy bowls with my older siblings and friends, Mariah and Kaila especially. This reminds me of the days we would arrive early in the mornings and while Mom opened the booth we would run off to buy huge waffles complete with fresh peaches and whip cream. Vendors only. We'd bring them back to the booth, drizzle birch syrup on them, gobble them down... The times we went to the petting zoo and watching the "How to Milk a Cow" show over and over just because it was a place to sit. The little trucks dad would always take us to drive and me... I was always the one who drove straight into the tires lining the tracks and got stuck. Hoopin' Hula cookies with a cup of cold milk, the hula hoops and all the quarters we spent on steaming buttered buns from Bushes Bunches. Playing Bingo with peanuts in the little trailer and trying unsuccessfully to catch grasshoppers in the shadow of the big barn. Horse rides. Corn fritters with Dad. Wax hands. And of course, our annual family photo button. This is what I taste. All this... held inside one silly little candy. All this, these memories of a faraway place called Alaska... all this as I sit in Thailand eating one simple candy made in Germany. Thank you Werther's. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment