Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The shore, the ocean or the ship?


"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." -Andre Gide

Alaska is the shore. Home is the shore. My parents, my friends, my family is the shore. My school is the shore. My hometown is the shore. My family traditions are the shore. My way of life is the shore. 

I am the shore.

The ocean? The ocean is Thailand. The ocean is Thai people. The ocean is my host families. The ocean is my new school. The ocean is my new hometown. The ocean is my new group of friends. The ocean is my new way of living. The ocean is everything I hear, see, smell and breath now. 


So in a way, I am also the ocean.

Before I left home I remember describing exchange as feeling like I was falling. I wasn't sure who or what or if anything would catch me, but for some crazy reason I was willing to jump. And I'm glad I did. 

Here's something my Dad reminded me; 
 "A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for."

So maybe I'm the ship? And exchange is part of my voyage? 

-Kearn




No comments:

Post a Comment