Monday, November 5, 2012

Back to School & Halloween

The sun is hot and I'm standing by the side gate of Pibulwittayalai... trying to imagine that there is shade when there is not.  I'm waiting to be picked up by my host Aunt. It's my first day back at school after a month break. It was strangely normal, waking up in the morning, pulling back my hair and putting in my shiny little black bow. Wearing a skirt and button down shirt, that shiny belt with no purpose but to look shiny and my funny white socks and black Mary Jane shoes... It's makes me feel like a little kid again but I don't know why... I certainly never wore this uniform when I was young. I'm staring off down the road, supposedly watching for my host Aunt's car but really just daydreaming. I feel a tap on my shoulder and I'm jerked out of my reverie, I turn to see a girl standing at my shoulder. "Hello!" she says and then scurries off without waiting to hear my reply. "Hey--" I say, my voice trailing off halfheartedly after her. It's silly but so many Thai students act like this. They're surprised and excited when I speak Thai to them. The other day I went to art class, the teacher asked me a question and I replied, speaking Thai naturally.  "Whoah! You can speak English!" one boy exclaimed mixing up the words English and Thai. I laugh, why yes... I can speak English... though I think you meant to say Thai.

 I'm really enjoying being back at school. I've been to History, Violin, P.E. (handball), English, Math and Cooking class.

Well, I can't deny I sort of forgot about this here blog thing-a-majig. Thanks Dad for reminding me! :) [Happy Belated Birthday to my awesome Dad!] Lots and lots has happened since I last posted. So lets see... a quick list... went back to school, went to the temple and saw a sort of parade in which they duplicate the time when Bhudda came down from Heaven, taught my host Aunt how to carve pumpkins (well squashes, since Thailand doesn't have pumpkins), got to see my friend Yin who lives in Bangkok and was an exchange student at my school last year and saw elephants playing soccer!

For now, I'm off to sleep but I promise I'll write more soon! If you have certain questions please comment here or message me! :)

Hope you are staying warm in AK!




Traditional Thai dress, these girls represent the angels (at the parade replicating when Bhudda came down from Heaven).






an elephant is hugging me! :)
Kearn






2 comments: